Sunday, March 20, 2016

I Will Follow Jesus by Judah and Chelsea Smith


I'm always excited to check out a new children's book. This book, I Will Follow Jesus is written by Judah and Chelsea Smith. I have been reading through the stories slowly with the kids in the evenings. It has given us some nice, quiet moments amidst the big changes our family is going through. 

This book is presented as a Bible Storybook. It is in no way comprehensive, but it does cover many stories from the Bible-- Old and New Testament. The book is written in a way that is easy for preschool aged children to grasp and enjoy. I did think at times that the language of the book was bordering on "cutesy", What I mean is, there are times when the language could have had more depth and not been so oversimplified. This book is great for getting kids familiar with Biblical characters-- but I would stress reading the actual Bible with your children too!  


I really liked the specific "I Will Follow Jesus" pages, interspersed throughout the book. These pages take a break from the stories and offer a chance for the kids to interact with what they are learning. They are sort of short devotionals with questions for the kids to think about. They also offer a short, sentence long prayer. There are also pages that are personal exerts from the authors lives.

What I really loved about this book were the illustrations done by Alexandra Ball. They are gorgeous. The color scheme and style give the book a modern feel. My children really enjoy flipping through the book just to see the pictures. The overall feel and quality of the physical book is really nice.

Overall I think that the book does accomplish its goal. It asks "what does it mean to follow Jesus?". The stories and questions presented within have challenged my kids (especially my 5 year old) to really contemplate this question.


I received a copy of this book from BookLook Bloggers in exchange for my review.    




No comments:

Post a Comment