Years ago I searched and searched for a Bible with wide margins to write in. I was so disappointed at how few options there were. Now journaling Bibles are everywhere, but they are definitely not all created equal.
The newest Bible I had the pleasure of reviewing comes from Thomas Nelson. I love journaling Bibles because I think they are an excellent way to interact with what you are reading. I see a lot of people painting and coloring in theirs. However, that is far from the only way to enjoy them.
I have one that I read through and write in the margins prayers for my family. Another idea is as you read daily, keep a prayer list and record answered prayers. You could write the things you're thankful for or how the Lord is blessing you. It's a great way to journal as you read.
I am not a fan of tissue thin pages, tiny print and a frail cover and in these areas, this Bible delivers.
- This Bible is solid. The cover is heavy duty and looks like it could endure the various trials I put my Bibles through (spilled coffee, sticky baby hands...)
- The cream pages are soft but relatively thick for a Bible. They don't do great with really wet markers or highlighters, but if you stick to a drier pen or pencil they hold up well.
- This Bible is considered large print (10-pt). I really appreciate how easy it is to read, even in low light.
- The margins are wide and lined, with ample space to write or draw.
- There is a nice little ribbon to mark your page.
- The whole things closes with an elastic band, keeping all my random bookmarks, shoved pens and church bulletins (mostly) neatly contained.
- It lays flat when opened and doesn't constantly flop closed. This is important to me, as I usually read on the couch or in bed.
- Personally, I like that this Bible is a little classier and doesn't have a bunch of additional coloring features or pictures. There are a lot of other journaling Bibles out there that come with various decorative stuff in them already. The lack of "pretties" makes this Bible perfect for men or women.
- While this is a NKJV this same Bible comes in KJV too
This Bible is very simple in that there are no additional study notes, maps or concordances. Study Bibles are an awesome resource and lifelong companion. If your looking for something along those lines, I have a study Bible from Thomas Nelson that I have used for years and love. This Bible is different but still great.
Another great thing about this Bible? I was sent two! One to review and one to giveaway to a reader. Here's how to enter-- Go to the comment section and tell me one of your favorite verses or books of the Bible. One person will be randomly selected December 11th. US residents only please and 18+ years old! Now Closed :)
(Thanks to Thomas Nelson and BlogAbout for providing me with these two copies. All opinions expressed are my own.)