Sunday, January 24, 2016

Sewing for Baby



There are seasons of life that I just don't feel the hunger to create. Sometimes my free time is just spread too thin and I choose to invest elsewhere. Most of the time though, I want to make something, I just don't know what. I hate that feeling. I desperately want to sew, paint, knit, embroider, letter-- create in any form, however my brain just feels blank in what direction to go.

 The final weeks of pregnancy have sent me into creative overdrive. A new baby on the way has given me tons of inspiration in the sewing department.
I started this simple quilt before we knew the gender of baby. This was suppose to be a super easy project... I was just going to cut, quilt and bind. I figured I could whip this baby out in an afternoon. I made it through about half of the quilting when it became clear that things were not looking good. The stitching was just wonky and pulling weirdly everywhere. It was not looking how I envisioned it in my head. Being the very mature person I am, I seriously considered throwing it in the trash can. I was SO mad at this quilt. I shoved it in my fabric closet and tried not to think about it. Last week I pulled it out and examined the mistakes. Turns out they weren't as catastrophic as I had thought. Sure, it wasn't perfect but it was okay. I trimmed the worst of it off and bound the edges. After a wash I was downright pleased with it.

                              

Feeling like a sewing rockstar, I decided to whip up another quick blanket. I have had this woodland knit from Joann's since this summer. I am so in love with this print. It was a little hard to cut into it. I wanted the entire bolt but settled for 1.5 yards. I thought a blanket would showcase the large-scale print well. I backed it with a peach french-terry knit and bound it with bias tape in the same material. This all sewed up surprisingly smooth. I need to check if my local Joann's has any more of this fabric...

This last project was something I daydreamed up one evening. I like the idea of a portable place for baby to nap. I used to have a cute Moses basket, but it completely unraveled on me. I made up this large cushion thing... Obviously, it wont last long once baby starts rolling/scooting. But it will be a cozy nest for a bit. I can put it on the bathroom floor when I shower or in the kitchen. We'll see how much use it really ends up getting. My big kids are obsessed with it though. They both love cuddling up on it. The cat is certain I created it for her and has been shooed off more times than I can count.

I have a million more ideas and projects in my head. Now I just need the time and supplies to make them a reality before baby comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment