Monday, June 8, 2015

Coconut Oatmeal Cookies

So I may have mentioned my starry-eyed love for A Modern Way to Eay by Anna Jones. As a reward for my hours of slaving away in this pigsty, I made up some cookies. I flipped through the recipes I had tagged until I came to the Coconut Oatmeal Cookies. The cookies are the perfect mix of macaroon and oatmeal cookie. They came together in about ten minutes.

The cookies are made with coconut (or spelt) flour, oats, unsweetened coconut, brown sugar, coconut oil and maple syrup. The recipe called for raisins as well, but I left them out-- because for me raisins ruin everything. Me eating a cookie with raisins-- oh it's a chocolate chip-delicious chocolate-oh wait it's a raisin-barf. Anyways.... raisins aside, they were super simple cookies to whip up. I only dirtied a measuring cup, 2 bowls and spoon. No need for a mixer here.


Next time I make them I will probably substitute coconut sugar for brown sugar. I almost did this time, but I wanted to give the recipe a try the way Anna had intended it. I am guessing the coconut sugar will work fine.

I always love finding recipes that use coconut flour- it so much cheaper than most flour alternatives and I love the taste. It is so dry, but it works perfect in this recipe. I have found it most successful when cookies are kept round like these. It seems like when you flatten them they have a tendency to get even drier.

Also, just a a warning, do not give these to a 2 year old in her freshly laundered bed... They are a little crumbly and the 2-years-old's vice grip will likely turn them into a huge mess

No comments:

Post a Comment